Monday 9 May 2016

OF BANKS AND US



Leslie was born July, 1986. He died September 1988. He was sick. He was taken to the hospital. I went to the bank. The queue was so long. The queue dragged. It was frustrating. The situation was worsened by bank tellers favoring their friends and bigwigs, bypassing procedures flagrantly. It took quite a time to get money. My own money. By the time I got to the hospital, Leslie was dead.
            Today the name of the bank alone leaves me with bitter memory. I would be doing the memory of my dead son a disfavor if I ever become a customer of that bank again.
            Sometime last year, I was at Mafoluku branch of the Keystone bank. A mammoth crowd was in the bank and long queue. I waited patiently for my turn. But then as the queue slowly progressed, I noticed a woman at the rear. Her baby was wailing seriously and nothing she did could assuage the kid and no one cared. Soon it got to my turn to be served. I asked the teller to allow the woman to take my place and that I was willing to go and start the queuing process all over again. He was moved. He told me to wait. He called the woman. He attended to her and to me as well.
            Early this year, I was at First bank IyanaIpaja. A young mother whose baby would be less than 2 months was at the rear of the long queue. I pleaded with a bank teller to attend to her as her baby was becoming uncomfortable.
            I have been a “nursing father” for some years now. Sometimes I have to be at the bank with my baby. I would not fail to mention the very special treatment I receive at Zenith bank Idimu road. I found out that babies and the elderly are accorded priority of place and honor.
            I have frequented guarantee Trust bank Idimu road branch several times. I recently learnt that elderly folks are not allowed on the general queues. They are accorded respect and priority of service. They have a special line. ‘Keep it up’
            First bank hasdevised a way to curb long queues and frustrating depositors. Little cash depositors do not have to be subjected to waiting rigors. I wish other banks would emulate this.
            Lastly, banks generally need to have a special treatment for children, the elderly and the physically challenged among us. They need to create conducive environment for waiting. They need good shelters for customers waiting to use the ATMs. They need to train their staff to be tolerant and patient with customers. Let them know that service comes first, than their personal inclinations. Let them devise ways to save us wasting man-hours. Let them make banking a wonderful, beautiful experience for us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment